INQUIRY INTO ALLEGATIONS OF ABDUCTION AND MURDER OF
SHARON BELYNE OTIENO
1. On the 3rd day of September 2018 a report was received at Kadel Patrol Base of an alleged abduction from one Barack Oduor a journalist at the Nation Media Group based at Homabay. In his report he stated that he was together with one Sharon Belyne Otieno, and that the abduction was carried out by four unidentified men along the Homabay Road. The two victims had immediately before the abduction been with one Michael Oyamo.
2. Investigations immediately commenced to trace the missing lady Sharon who was said to be heavily pregnant at the time of the alleged kidnapping.
3. During investigations the following was established that :
i. A motor vehicle KCL 481K a Toyota fielder dark grey in colour was used in the alleged kidnapping of Sharon and Barack
ii. Sharon’s body was later found on 4th September 2018 in a thicket near Oyugis Town.
iii. The said vehicle was intercepted on 16th September 2018 within Migori Town and the driver by the name Jackson Otieno Gombe was arrested.
iv. During Jackson Otieno Gombe’s interview it was established that the said vehicle operates as a taxi within Migori County and is registered in the name of Olivia Oloo Adhimabo who is an employee at the County of Migori. In addition, it was established that Olivia in whose name the car was registered, is married to Caspal Ojwang Obiero who also works at the County of Migori and is the other PA to the Governor
V. The car track system in the vehicle was deactivated on 3rd September 2018 – the date of the incident and reactivated the following day 4th September 2018. This clearly was a well calculated move by the killers to conceal the movement of the vehicle in question
vi. Further, it was established that an intimate relationship existed between Zakariah Okoth Obado, the Governor of the County of Migori which subsequently led to a pregnancy with the deceased that the Governor was unhappy about it.
vii. As such persons featuring prominently in the matter were either employees of the county government or close acquaintances of the Governor assigned to handle the matter carefully to avoid public ridicule and political backlash.
4. Sharon and her unborn baby lost their lives in a gruesome and horrifying
manner in the hands of her killers. My Office is therefore committed to ensuring that all the perpetrators of the heinous act are brought to book and subjected to the due process of the law.
5. Human life is sacrosanct and must be respected by all persons irrespective
of their social, economic, or political standing in society. It is against this background that I have directed the following persons to be charged with the offences of Murder and aiding and abetting the commission of the felony termed murder.
i. Zacharia Okoth Obado-Governor of the County of Migori to be charged with the offence of aiding and abetting the commission of the felony termed murder.
ii. Michael Juma Oyamo-Personal Assistant to the governor to be charged with the offence of murder.
iii. Caspal Ojwang Obiero – Personal Assistant to the Governor be charged with the offence of aiding and abetting the commission of the felony termed murder.
6. In addition, I have directed the DCI to ensure that the hitmen and other persons who have been adversely mentioned in connection with this matter are pursued and arrested.
7. My Office shall continue to review this case as and when further evidence
is collected, and arrests made.
8. I have constituted a team of senior prosecutors to undertake the prosecution
of the matter immediately.
NOORDIN HAJI, OGW DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC PROSECUTIONS
23rd September 2018